VB6 Migration to a Future-Proof Environment
Organizations still using mission-critical applications based on Classic Visual Basic (VB 6.0 or even VB 5.0) need to realize that this platform's days are numbered. Microsoft officially stopped supporting the VB6 IDE in 2008; it only continues to run under a number of limitations and will need workarounds to even start under Windows 8.1 and newer versions.
VB6 Migration by fecher is a proven tool-supported service. It enables the conversion of the old source code to the modern and future-proof .NET environment - in a structured process and at a fixed price.
VB6 Migration at a Glance
- Modern Code and UI: We convert your old VB6 applications to .NET code (C# or VB.NET) and modernize the user interface.
- Risk-free: We guarantee every conversion to perform as the original application and to work with the latest technology.
- Save Time and Money: We use proprietary tools and a team of experienced developers to lower the cost and time of conversion by 80% compared to a manual rewrite.
- Web Application: We also give you the option to convert your VB6 code to a real-time web application in C# or VB.NET based on Wisej.NET.
The .NET environment provides so many new options which we will now use to quickly implement our new ideas.
Our Migration Process
We use our automated tools and a team of migration developers to convert your VB6 code to a modern Visual Studio solution. Our approach minimizes code changes and applies a consistent set of customized rules to the source code – the result is high quality, documented, and maintainable C# or VB.NET code.
- Free Analysis & Detailed Analysis
- Proposal with several customization and price levels
- Project setup – Kick off meeting
- Code migration
- Code finalization
- Tests & Training
- Quality assurance
All our Migration Projects follow a proven procedure model. The only variables are the service level and customization options.
Our first step is to perform an initial Free Analysis of your entire system. Using one of our automated tools, we gather key statistical information about your code allowing us to estimate the time/cost of the project with a high degree of accuracy and to detect any potential issue early on. Before starting the project, we present the result of our Free Analysis, including any potential challenge, and give you a complete picture of your project. The next step is to prepare a fixed-price offer and a Detailed Analysis. After reviewing the source code, we work out a detailed plan and build a prototype following your requirements. You will know exactly what we will deliver, the expected performance, and quality of the converted code and UI.
Our conversion approach, methodology, and technology allow us to complete a conversion project in 15 – 20 percent of the cost/time of a new implementation. Most projects will need between two to six months.
Information: We provide an information package with reference examples, answer all your initial questions in an on-site meeting or an online demonstration, and advise on the difference technology choices and migration approaches.
Free Analysis: Our assessment tool analyzes the source code and creates a categorized list of tasks. This lets us estimate the time, effort, risk and cost of the migration project with 80% to 90% accuracy.
Detailed Analysis: We examine the entire code of your applications, verify the results from the Free Analysis, and provide you with an accurate project proposal including several project models and price levels. The fee for the Detailed Analysis is usually very low and is provided during the Free Analysis result presentation.
Project Setup: We coordinate with you the precise timetable for the project, define the target structure of the entire system, and prepare the workspace for the migration. We are able to maintain the code-freeze period to a minimum and, if necessary, update the migration with fresh bug fixes that you may have applied during the code-freeze period.
Code Migration: Our automated tools generate the new C# or VB.NET code and Visual Studio solutions. We run this step several times with different settings and/or customized filters to achieve the best possible result and, if necessary, customize the output.
Code Finalization: During the finalization step one, the migration team assigned to your project checks and completes the generated projects; they implement custom controls, verify all form layouts, complete all reports, and perform basic functional tests.
User Acceptance Tests: The migration team executes basic, functional and manual tests. You are required to provide click-through use cases using our video capturing tool. We measure the test results using a code coverage tool and ask for additional click-through tests when necessary. With the all-inclusive project we’ll fix all the issues that may arise during your user acceptance test. In other types of project models, our developers will train and support your team during this step.
Training: We hold workshops and training sessions to introduce your developers to the migrated application and new technologies. We also offer additional advanced training and extended support agreements beyond the warranty period included in the project.
Further Development: We are available to further enhance the migrated application, to migrate it to a web application later on, create a new front-end for mobile devices and develop additional modules. In other words, we can support you long after the project is completed.
Project types go from the more expensive All-inclusive Model, basically a turn-key solution, to the more involved Integrated-project Model where your team is integrated in the project significantly lowering the external cost. Our All-inclusive Project type is guaranteed 100% and is virtually risk free. Before committing to anything, you will have already evaluated the converted code, a prototype, project plans, a detailed timetable, and a complete overview of the full solution. We also offer a lower-cost alternative Integrated-project type for companies that want to use their own teams in the conversion project. We take the lead and work with your team during the entire conversion process.
Success Story: IC programming platform migrated from VB6 to C# - Application modernization project by fecher generates added value for Data I/O and their worldwide electronics manufacturing clients
Our tool-based migration approach presents a unique opportunity to modernize the code and the user interface (UI) at once. We develop individually tailored project plans based on these four models:
- Classic Conversion. We convert your legacy VB6 application to a .NET Visual Studio solution, either using C# or VB.NET. Your new system will run like your old, but in a new technology, compatible with Windows 10, and native 64 bit.
- Conversion + User Interface. We convert your legacy code and at the same time create a new modern look & feel: we modernize all forms and color patterns, build a new navigation model based on the ribbon-bar, accordion, and tabbed MDI controls, and resize all controls to fit and adapt to the new modernized forms.
- Conversion + Web Architecture. We convert your legacy application to a real-time web application in either C# or VB.NET. Your new system will run entirely in a web server in-house or on the cloud and will be usable on any device.
- Conversion + User Interface + Web Architecture. We convert your application, create a brand new modern UI, and make it a real-time web application based on HTML5 and WebSocket. Your new system, with a modern sleek UI, will run entirely in a web server in-house or on the cloud and will be usable on any device.
We used our 15+ years of code modernization experience to build vbPORTER: our own VB6 conversion technology.
vbPORTER understands your source code. It doesn’t simply translate old keywords with new ones. It actually applies customizable transposition rules to code patterns and to entire controls and their members. The resulting Code Object Model is rendered to either C# or VB.NET resulting in consistent and well designed code. Earlier tools, including Microsoft’s VB6 converter, were limited to keyword replacement and couldn’t generate usable code, especially when used with real life applications. vbPORTER masters complex mappings and correctly integrates existing and new controls, including third party components.